Tuesday 2 March 2021

Evarista: October 2005-January 2021

“Dogs are not our whole life but they make our lives whole”

My wonderful dog Evarista died on the morning of the 19th of January, 2021. She was 15 years of age. She was born in October 2005 in Novallas, Zaragoza, Spain, and she has died in Tarazona, Zaragoza, Spain. The strange thing is that in the morning of the 18th of January I walked her as usual and she was fine as always. 

EVARISTA 

EVARISTA
EVARISTA 

READ THIS IN SPANISH EVARISTA

We went to the countryside like every morning and when we came back she sat near me. Yet, soon thereafter, she started to feel so unwell she was quiet for nearly 17 hours, she could not move at all. She sat near the heater peacefully.

She vomited a little but little albeit it was something similar to blood. When I woke up the following morning I saluted her and I really thought it was something temporary. I took two pictures of her and I also made a video of Evarista and I went to the veterinarian to make an appointment but it was closed. 

Subsequently, I came back home and my mother gave me the fatal news. Evarista left the room even though she could not move and after many hours quiet to find my mum who was in the kitchen and then Evarista looked at her carefully for some minutes prior to passing away. In a last effort and even though she was extremely weak she managed to move so that saying goodbye to my mum. Evarista decided to die this way.

Halcombe Norilsk
                                              (Evarista was extremely happy when I published my first book )

Halcombe Norilsk
Evarista made me write.

Evarista is buried in the countryside, the same countryside throughout which we crossed every morning. She made me be more creative. Evarista was a really clever dog and a funny one. I have met different dogs and I even had one that died very soon and I can tell Evarista was especially intelligent and amusing. 

Likewise, she was never sick. She lived very well. Something that is strange is that she never had any contact with other dogs. As a matter of fact, she ignored them on purpose. It was peculiar because dogs tend to like to salute and play with other dogs yet Evarista did always avoid any contact with other dogs or strangers. 

How many walks have I done with Evarista in the countryside? How many hours have I been writing on the computer with this dog looking at me carefully? How many movies have I watched and how many hours have I spent with Evarista by my side?

15 years is a great figure for a dog and the funny thing is she never made her "things" in the hard concrete as city dogs do, but she always did it in the countryside. Evarista was a country animal, what is more, we live very close to the countryside thereby she always breathed fresh air albeit she visited the city of Zaragoza a couple of times. Evarista is matchless.

Dogs make owners be 10 years younger. In this particular case, Evarista made me extremely happy. Moreover, she helped me to write. She will always be in my mind and my house is not the same without her. Evarista was a Jack Russell Terrier and she was very pretty likewise. I do not believe I will ever walk the countryside again without her.

My grandmother María had a friend who had another friend whose dog had had puppies and she thought Evarista would be perfect for my parents who are deaf people. It was the month of October of the year 2005. Soon thereafter, my grandmother got sick and she died subsequently in January 2007, 14 years ago, in the same month, January, in which my dog Evarista has died. 

My novel "El Verano de Natalie Davis" (the Summer of Natalie Davis) is dedicated to my grandmother Maria because of whom we enjoyed the amazing companion of my wonderful dog Evarista. 

El Verano de Natalie Davis

Do share and comment.

ORIGINAL ARTICLE EVARISTA

                                                         Evarista October 2005-January 2021

Do share and Comment.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you lost your friend. But, this is such a beautiful and touching article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Your comment means a lot to me

      Delete